Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Idea Post: The Power of the Moving Image 11.11.10

THE POWER OF THE MOVING IMAGE

My films are an extension of my poetry, using the white screen like the white page to be filled with images. -James Broughton


I think cinema, movies, and magic have always been closely associated. The very earliest people who made film were magicians. -Francis Ford Coppola

I've been talking to Paul a lot more about how rhythm is so integral to a series of work. There needs to be a distinct narrative and a build up within the imagery to suggest the storyline for you, whereas in film the pacing, sound, lighting, etc. are all elements and devices that the director uses to evoke certain emotions within the viewer. It's much harder to suggest these things when you are working with still imagery. I'm learning that more and more everyday...



I have been returning to places from my youth that were significant in the beginning of my life. I about to embark on a cross country move and want to document these things before I leave for the West Coast...

This is an interactive film by Chris Milk- replace your childhood address with mine to make this experience specifically for you. Mine can be viewed HERE. This film literally brought tears to my eyes. Reminds me of a time when things were so much simpler.

Charlotte Gainsbourg's "Time of the Assassins" from Beck Hansen on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment