Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 15, 2010 Artist Entry: Todd Hido

I’m really not sure why or how the name “Todd Hido” came to float around in my brain or when exactly came across his work. In the middle of my search for photographers, his name popped into my head. Unaware of the reason my mind remembered his name, I typed the words into my search bar and came upon some truly amazing bodies of work. Hido’s latest body of work “House Hunting” has Hido roaming the streets of suburban Los Angeles to photograph scenes of these homes with only the ambient light that peeks through windows from the light indoors and street lamps that illuminate the exterior and surrounding areas. Hido has the ability to create these film noir-esque scenes that evoke a sense of loneliness, despair, and isolation. The images he takes of these scenes are unique portraits that each have their own eerie personality. I really enjoy Hido’s design aesthetic and his use of ambient light to tell a story. I too search for abandoned homes and buildings to photograph. I like to explore these sites to photograph them as a sort of visual record that tell a story of the people that once occupied these spaces.







No comments:

Post a Comment